>

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

caulk trim for a professional finish

Hey y'all! Sorry I've been so absent, lately! I've been up to my accdientally-paint-tipped-hair with projects lately, but I wanted to share this quick tip I just discovered.

For the last year, we have been updating all of our baseboards and door frames by painting them white.  They have looked really good, but then yesterday, I discovered a way to make them look great!  
The key: Caulk
It's actually one of the easiest projects I've ever done, and it's made such a huge difference!

Start by picking up some caulk from your hardware store.  I just picked up the cheap $3 tube of DAP in white.  Then, using painters tape, tape off next to your trim, leaving about 1/16" gap.
Then, using your caulking gun, run a line of caulk directly on the gap between the wall and the trim.  I found it best to have your gun at about a 45 degree angle. 

Then, run your finger on the caulk, pressing it into the gap.  While doing this, you will also get a ton of excess on your finger, but I guess this is normal.
This will also cause excess caulk to get on the trim itself, so using a wet rag (more than damp, but not dripping), wipe down the line of caulk, as well as the trim to remove any excess before it dries.  Then, remove the tape and you have a beautifully finished piece of trim!
So far, I've done all the door frames and baseboards in the kitchen and downstairs hallway...
isn't it just beautiful?
I promise you, it looks a million times more amazing in person,
and for about $2-$3 per room, it is so worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, thank you a ton! I wondered how one went about caulking trim, now I know! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10