>

Monday, July 23, 2012

quick ottoman makeover

Remember this chair that I reupholstered a few months ago?
It's found a home in our living room, and my parents gave us this ottoman that they have had for years.
The size of, and legs on both of these pieces actually work well together, but the fabrics are not a match made in heaven. So, I decided to tackle a "quick" reupholstering project.  Keep in mind that the chair took me around 9 hours to take apart and recover.  This ottoman project took me a little over an hour and a half to complete.

I started out by taking off all the pieces and cutting out my fabric.  I have seen so many posts about using canvas drop cloths for curtains, and I decided to see how it would work for upholstered furniture.  I bought a 4'x15' drop cloth for $15, and plan to use the material for another upcoming reupholstery project I have going.
 
I got out my trusty staple gun and attached this piece in a breeze.  
Then, I sewed up some quick piping that was already on the ottoman and added the final piece.
Much better, right? Well, almost...see how the ottoman dips a bit in the middle? 
I went out to the scrap box in our garage, and I'm telling you a miracle happened! I had three scrap pieces that worked as is.  No cutting involved! It was crazy, and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be!

I grabbed a scrap piece of mdf and two scraps of a 2x2.  I screwed the pieces together, and into the ottoman.
Look how much better that looks! So full, and goes great with the chair!
P.S. Did you notice my pillow upgrade?  Kohl's sent me a $10 promotional card off of a purchase of $10 or more.  This $35 pillow was on clearance for $13.65 and I only paid $3.65! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10