>

Thursday, April 26, 2012

stylin stripes

I am so excited to share the accent wall in my office with you!  After much deliberation, I decided to go with horizontal stripes, and by following these steps, it was seriously, so easy!
Since I painted the rest of the room charcoal, I knew I wanted to have crisp white stripes to go along with the charcoal.  The walls were all off-white, and I really didn't want to waste a lot of paint, to paint the whole wall, so I took some quick measurements and painted a few quick white stripes.  

Our walls are 8' high, with about 94" of that being just the wall (above the woodwork) so I did 9 stripes at 10.5" tall.  The bottom stripe is slightly smaller than this by a teeny bit, but you can't tell at all.  I opted to do an odd number of stripes so that the grey would be against the ceiling (because our ceiling is off-white as well), and against the woodwork, so that the crisp white floorboard would stand out from the grey stripe.
I did not realize how not-white our walls were until I painted bright white on top! Next I taped off with  1" blue painters tape.  

I started at the top, and measured 10.5 inches in three spots: on the left, the center and the right.  Then, I put my first piece of blue tape on the wall.  Starting with the left mark, I placed the tape below my pencil mark, and then taped to the center mark.  I didn't press the tape all the way down until I pulled my tape all the way over to the right pencil mark.  Then, once I checked to make sure it was level and looking good, I pressed the tape down, nice and tight.  

Next, I measured from the top of the tape, 10.5" down, and placed the tape above my pencil mark.  It is important to remember to alternate below the pencil mark, and above the pencil mark for each stripe.  Once you are done taping, the stripes where you still need to paint will appear two inches larger than the stripes that have already been painted, because 2" of that stripe is under two pieces of tape.
The next step is the most important step to getting crisp stripes!  Using the same color as the stripes that are already painted (white on my wall), paint over the blue tape to seal the tape down .  
I waited for this paint to dry, and once it was dry, applied the grey paint.  Then, right after painting, while the paint was still wet, I removed the tape.  This is also key to getting crisp lines.

I'm not going to lie, because I have textured walls, the tape has a hard time sealing completely, even with the paint application.  So, when I removed the tape, this is what my stripes looked like.
Not bad, huh? Using some white paint, and a tiny paint brush, I was able to clean up these lines in no time, for a very crisp finish.
And then, with my NYC picture that Matthew gave me for Christmas a few years ago.
How cool? Even now, I'm sitting in here typing this post, in awe of how much I love my office now!  

Check out the before and after:
Office Checklist
  • Paint Walls
  • Paint Woodwork
  • Paint Accent Wall
  • Paint Hardware
  • Organize Files on Bookshelf
  • Add Curtains
  • Keep Cornice/Move Cornice?
  • Add Art/Accessories
  • Add something to front of desk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10