>

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Simple Queen Bed Frame


We've always had a plain, boring metal bed frame in our room, but wanted something a little nicer. I found a great bed frame on Ana White's blog that had been tweaked a bit by Big Box Detox. I loved both beds, so we decided to make a hybrid of the two - keeping it stained vs upholstered from Ana's plan, but adding the chunkier legs from Big Box Detox; plus, we also made some adjustments ourselves.

Step 1 - Shopping List
So, with plans in hand, we headed to the Firestone Home Depot (which is seriously the most friendly place in the world).  Here's what we bought:

Materials:
  • (1) 4 x 4 x 8 (You only need 27 inches of this, and my Dad had some on hand, so Free!)
  • (2) 1 x 8 x 8 - $17.96 
  • (2) 2 x 6 x 8 - $8.40 
  • (1) 1 x 8 x 10 - $11.67 
  • (2) 2 x 2 x 8 - $7.94 
  • 1 Quart Stain - $7.77
  • 1 Quart Polyurethane - $9.49
  • 2" Screws - $6.47
  • (5) 2.5" Bolts
  • (5) Bolt Receptacles (cannot remember what they are called - see picture below)
  • Wood Filler - Already Had
Total: ~$75.00

Step 2 - Cuts 
The folks at Home Depot are so wonderful, they did our basic cuts for us.  For the angled cuts, we went to my parent's house to use their miter saw because we don't have a saw yet!

Cut List:
  • (4) 4 x 4 x 5" Corner Legs
  • (1) 4 x 4 x 7" Center Leg
  • (2) 1 x 8 x 81.5" - Sides
  • (4) 2 x 6 x 5.5" Cut at 45 Degree Angle - Corner Supports
  • (1) 2 x 6 x 80" - Center Support
  • (2) 2 x 2 x 80" - Interior Support Rails

Step 3 - Stain
We opted to stain our boards before assembling, because it would be easier to assemble in our room and that way the house wouldn't smell terrible. We chose a stain color called Jacobean.  It is a really gorgeous dark, cool brown. We did two coats of stain, followed by one coat of poly.  We chose to only stain the outside of the boards because 1.) we didn't know if this bed-building project was going to work, and 2.) we wanted to conserve stain to use on other projects.

Step 4 - Assemble Your Bed Frame
After a week of drying (a combination of wanting to be sure the boards were completely dry and just having hectic lives), we were ready to assemble.  We had a crazy snow storm and Matthew had a snow day from work, so we setup in the living room, and got to work.


First, we attached the corner supports to the boards.


After all of our corners were attached, we attached the interior side rails.  The original directions call to place these 2" from the top, but we wanted our box frame to be lower in the bed frame.  We placed them 4" from the top of the board.  I'm very glad we did this, because the bed is already really high and two inches higher would have been too high, in my opinion.


Then came our beautiful chunky legs.  I adore these legs - so simple, but wonderful.  We have the same style leg on our sofa, and they make me smile!  To attach these, I held the leg up to the corner support where I wanted, and Matthew drilled through the corner support and into the leg.  Once a hole was established, we hammered the bolt receptacles into each leg. Then, came the ratchet.  We had to ratchet each bolt in and it took FOR-E-VER! Ok, not really, but it felt like it.

I really have no idea what these are called, but they were super easy to use.




Because we changed the placement of the side rails, we also had to change the center support from the other plans.  We needed to keep the center support level with the side rail supports, so we flipped the board on its side, and made the center leg 2 inches taller than the others.  Of course, I forgot to take a picture of this step, but basically you attach the center leg to the board, center the board on the front and back sides of the bed, and screw it in.


Step 5 - Finishing Touches
Now that the bed was assembled, we had a bunch of screws showing, so we still need to patch these holes with wood filler and touch up the staining.  However, being the procrastinator I am, this still has not been done, and now the puppy has chewed on the bed.  This is why I'm so excited about building a bed for $75, because then if the dog destroys it, it's not a huge loss.


In the future, I am going to make a headboard as well.  One of the biggest reasons why we chose this bed is because it is so simple and low-profile, that I can change the headboard in the future to many different options and it will still go together.


P.S. I know, I know! Our bedding is terrible. It's on my "To Buy" list, but probably not going to happen anytime soon.  And, we need something on the walls too. So much to do!

Update: Check out how we updated our bedroom here

1 comment:

  1. Hoωdy! This pοst could not be written any better!

    Reading through thіs poѕt rеminԁs me of my olԁ
    roоm mate! Ηe аlwayѕ κеpt talking about this.
    І wіll forwагd this page to him.
    Pretty surе he wіll hаvе a gooԁ read.
    Thanks foг sharіng!
    My page v2 ecig coupon

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10